The Collection



Thursday, February 24, 2005

PBS spotlight

Two nights ago, I watched a PBS program detailing the daily life of soldiers in a platoon. The backdrop of course was Iraq. It was not a puff piece. These were soldiers on the front lines of fighting an insurgency, patrolling and going into Sunni areas. It was a documentary on the physical & mental struggles of being a soldier. From gunfights to bombs to the death of their own. This program detailed it all. All I can say is, may God bless them.


Two quotes stuck out in my mind, and I'll have to paraphrase them as my memory can be suspect.

"My job is not to die for my country, but to make the other guy die for his."

"I thought the hardest part would be putting my life on the line for my fellow brothers, but it's really having to deal with their death."

No comments: