The Collection



Friday, April 29, 2005

3 in a row

Well it's official. My youngest sister will be heading to Texas A&M University. Following in the footsteps of me and my other sister.

It's a proven fact or should I call it a law. Come to think of it I'm not sure there is a name, and so I'll just call it Ray's 2nd law. "A decision made by an individual, with the sole purpose of affecting only this said individual, will propagate consequences outside of the intended individual." There that sounds intellectual enough. Basically Ray's 2nd law is saying we don't live in a fishbowl.

sidenote: Ray's 1st law states, just because an entity is capable of producing an outcome, it does not automatically necessitate it's undertaking.

Translation: Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Funny. When I made the decision to go to Texas A&M I would have never guessed that both of my younger sisters would also be attending there as well. I won't go into the reasons for my choice. And I'm certainly not going to take any credit for their final decision. But at very least in some small measure, my time at the university must have influenced their pick. I mean look how I turned out. Well maybe you shouldn't answer that one.


Though Texas A&M does have many strong points. It's a big time university in a safe, small town. It's a friendly atmosphere. For which I appreciate much more after spending time "interacting" with people in the big cities up north. Traffic is low compared to those metroplexes. Sure there's not much cultural diversity when it comes to dining, but there's easy & quick access to the cities of Houston & Austin.

Despite its obvious size, I rarely got the sense of getting lost or being overwhelmed at sheer magnitude of A&M. If anything the school & the student body had a tendency to try to compensate too hard for this fact. We're not known for having tons of school traditions and spirit for nothing.


Of course there were times I could have lived without taking those long treks from one end of campus to the other, especially in the wilting summer heat. But like most things in life it's what you make out of it, and I wouldn't trade my time there with any other school.

And here's to my little sister having her opportunity.

No comments: