The Collection



Sunday, May 22, 2005

Speedbump

I had the misfortune the other night as I was driving back to my apartment of running over an armadillo. That's right one of those critters was in the middle of the road. I'm thinking we need to start remedial classes for animals such as armadillos, possums, deers, et. al, on the detriment of jaywalking. The mortality rate is off the charts and should be unacceptable in an industrialized country such as the US.

Mind you I've never run over any living thing before. Well at least not that I can recollect. I have come close to running into more than one deer on one particular trip up to British Columbia. It must have been the deers' Woodstock taking place that evening as my friend and I were driving in the back roads to our next campsite. We counted over 50 in the span of an hour. That's right over 50!

Having said that, I've seen plenty of road kill. Though since I was never raised in the backwoods of this country, my taste for meat runs more towards the kind found in the store rather than the kind on the floor.

For those of you who have never run over an armadillo. It's not as jarring as you might think. My car barely skipped a beat. And I don't have a monster of a truck either. In fact after I ran it over I was doubting it was an armadillo at all. I was think it could have been a loaf of bread. But then my defensive instincts took a back seat to reason. I mean come on. How many loafs of bread are grey and actually move? Exactly.

And so I ran over an armadillo. And it didn't sit too well with me. It's one thing to see the dead carcass of an animal, but it's totally another thing when you're the one responsible.

No comments: