The Collection



Monday, August 29, 2005

Freshman Convocation

My little sister started her first day of college today. Wow! It seems like ages ago when I first step foot onto A&M. And here she is taking her own strides into this big campus of ours. Texas A&M is no longer the sole possession of mine like it was when I graduated. And to be sure I'm glad to share some of those experiences with my little sister just as I did with my other sis.


four minus one Posted by Picasa

My sister will start on her own new slate. Mistakes and successes are now all her own to earn, and I will be around to help guide if circumstances warrant and she so desires. I do remember those early days in college as a time of exhilaration. It was as if I was Columbus embarking in the New World. Discovering new aspects and slants on life that were not apparent before.

There will be Midnight Yell, which is quite a gathering of the student body in the middle of the night before a football game. The Aggie home football games are a spectacle onto themselves (with the student body that stands throughout the game doing various yells, and the famous fighting & precision marching Texas Aggie band). The baseball games in Olsen field beat any major league game I've been to in terms of atmosphere. The constant harassing of opposing players is a must and a total hoot. Aggie Muster & Silver Taps to honor the fallen. And those are just some of the traditions and activities associated with our school.


one last hug Posted by Picasa

As much as I envy those times and feelings, I'm quite glad to be pass that point in my life. I have long since moved on. Our lives are already too short to relive any of it through the lives of others.


on the way home Posted by Picasa

My parents came up Sunday with my sister for the final move in. This is a point many parents dread, and my folks seemed resigned to the fact. It sure helped that they had gone through this earlier in the week when my sister stayed in the dorm a couple of nights to take care of some school related matters. Even though she is only 90 miles away, it is the different stage in life that this represents which saddens any parent.

I was there to drive them back to Houston after I finished work. They held up quite well, but their last little bird has now flown the nest only to return as the seasons see fits. It is a time to spread the wings little sister. Good Luck, Christine.

No comments: