The Collection



Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Hurricane Rita watch pt.3

She's a monster! Rita has taken little time since entering the Gulf of Mexico to turn into a category 5 hurricane, which is described on the scale as catastrophic. Her current strength is 170-175 mph winds and very low barometric pressure. Both of which are stronger numbers than the recent Katrina. Not a good sign.


Well it seems certain Rita isn't going to miss this part of Texas. Time to buckle down because there is no escaping. Many have evacuated parts of Houston, mainly the low lying areas prone to flooding. Fortunately my folks live in an area that is not prone to flooding, but they seem unwilling to leave their home and come up here to stay with my sister and me. I'm not particularly fond of this decision.

All the stores have run out of drinking water as of this morning. Good thing I already had that taken care of before hand. Now even schools in this area are canceling classes from the local systems to the university itself. The highway coming from the south is filled with traffic and it's not expected to alleviate much.

This will be my first experience with a Hurricane. Funny considering I've lived in this area since my early childhood. I have been away for the past 2 hurricanes that have come aground on the Texas coast. But that's for another time to recount.

The here and now is more pressing. Looks like Rita is gonna be a rough one.

Ouch! Posted by Picasa

No comments: