The Collection



Thursday, September 15, 2005

An impression of Austin



I spent the past weekend in Austin, the state capital. I travel there about maybe once a year. The city has grown considerably from my first experience. In fact I was just a little lad sleeping in the back of the car, which I was quite good at, and I remember my dad telling me to wake up. We were on our way back from a family vacation trip out west somewhere. When I finally came around, he told me I had missed seeing Austin. It seems a 10 minute drive by the interstate was all there was to offer at the time. Because when I took a peek, there was nothing but farmland to look at. I remember thinking what a small town.



Well it's no longer small. In fact it's a decent-size city serving as the capital of Texas with a big university system. Thanks to the University of Texas and the immense presence of some technology companies such as Dell computers, the general population of this town skews younger & more educated. So there is quite the night life as well as unique stores and restaurants. Typical chain eateries that are found in surburbia are almost non-existant in the city limits of Austin. Well maybe except for Hooters.

It's not your typical country town that are spread across the plains of Texas. With the multitude of hills & big lakes close by, the scenery is dramatically different from west Texas or even east Texas. So much so it is referred sometimes as the Silicon Valley of Texas. Once again something the younger demographic can take advantage of.

The more impressive aspect of Austin is the hill country. A spectacular landscape with occasional homes dotting the hillside. Homes that definitely have no place being in most parts of Texas, but more similar to those found in California. I'd hate to imagine what these houses cost. And not to forget the lakes as well. There are a number of houses up on the lakes also. Austin has many places for athletic excursions & water activities. In fact I forgot Lance Armstrong calls this city his home until I saw all those cyclists just riding around in their uncomfortable biker shorts. Quite the dynamic city in the heart of Texas.

In the short time I was there I fell in love with this city. It is not the same as the area I currently call my abode. It's not flat, its not dry, but it's still hot. It would be a nice place for me to relocate to someday. Maybe I shouldn't have fallen asleep all those years ago.

No comments: