
So there we were in Oahu with no real plan of action. Well there were a few things we were sure we wanted to do. Just no definitive plans. Going to Hanauma Bay was near the top of the list. After I told Jeff how much I enjoyed the snorkeling expedition we took in Maui, he pretty much guaranteed that I would love this place also. In fact he was very high on Hanauma Bay. So I decided sure why not give this place a look, and I tried to not raise my expectations too high.


Anyways, Hanauma Bay was AWESOME! If you like to snorkel and see fish that is. Otherwise the crowded beach would probably get to you. But since I spent most of my time in the water, humans were not a problem. You have to pay to get in, which is about $5 a person. Not bad considering the money goes directly to the preserve. And you can either bring in your own snorkeling gear or you can rent them there. Again well worth it.

Once there we pretty much scouted out the area and then put on our gear and headed underwater. So what's so great about Hanauma Bay? Oh besides the clear water, the natural reef system, and the oodles of fish feeding of the reefs. I'm not sure. Actually according to Jeff, the water wasn't as clear as it has been in his past visits. Needless to say I did not have any problems in that department. It was a little mind boggling to think it could get much clearer than what I had the pleasure of experiencing.

It was a great time being able to swim around and watching all these tropical fish feeding of the coral reef. The only way for me to describe the experience is to say it was like swimming in an aquarium. Every time you turned around there was another group of fishes eating. To be among all these colorful and spectacular fishes in their natural habitat was astounding. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, but it was an amazing day.

aerial view of Hanauma Bay
1 comment:
This place looks like a place to visit for sure.. you must have had a blast, and to think you visit Ohio like twice a year, what a contrast.
Post a Comment