

So Kristin & Phil decided to have a non-rehearsal dinner before the day of their wedding. There were no plans or arrangements to go over. It was just an intimate gathering of family & close friends. And so I got off of work early to make the long trip down to Houston that Friday night.

the happy couple

Like I said there was no purpose of the meal except to get together. It was nice to see Kristin's parents again. I haven't seen them since we were in college & traveling to their house in Houston to use the swimming pool. Have I mentioned how much I miss not having quick access to a pool? Well that's for another post I guess. But much has transpired for her folks since I last saw them. They have since trotted across the globe to Russia for a few years and now are living in Libya. First they do the tango in a freezing landscape and now it's the blistering limbo in the desert. Snow & sand what a combo. But they will soon retire to the great state of North Carolina, and the hot new retirement center of Asheville. Until then it was till a long trip from Libya, but anything for one of their daughters.


Megan, Kristin's little sis, & her girlfriend
The funny thing about Kristin's parents is their politics doesn't exactly match their daughter's. Mr. Moro's occupation involves the uber-oil company of Shell. In fact 95% of my friends' dad's work in the oil industry. And so their world view is in the conservative mold. You cannot bite the hand that feeds you and your family. On flip side, Kristin & Phil's work at the zoo gravitates them to the more liberal side. Let's face it the Sierra Club is not on any major oil company's Christmas card list.

Mr. Moro giving a toast
So the destination for the non-rehearsal dinner was Buca de Beppo. This was my first time at this Italian restaurant chain. It's main emphasis is serving meals family style, which I have been quite familiar with since my days in Chicago. Outside of how they serve the food is the unique presentation of the eating areas. From the Frank Sinatra table to the Pope's rotating bust at another, Buca de Beppo has the market cornered on all things Italian in popular culture.


Sarah & Dawn worshipping at the table of ole blue eyes.

Pope Benedict blessing us with his presence
We had quite a feast that night, but for some reason I was not into stuffing my face. I had more than enough of that experience in Hawaii. I just wanted to go back to enjoying my food instead of indulging my eyes. And so it was a splendid night of food and family, and the next day was only to be bigger & better.

No comments:
Post a Comment