The Collection



Tuesday, December 05, 2006

My Yamaha YZF-R6 (with pics)

So I finally got to ride my newest toy Sunday. I purchased a sports bike a few weeks ago. A blue Yamaha YZF-R6 to be exact. Why? Well I've wanted to for the longest time. Some of you may be surprised, but its true. All the way back when I was in junior high to be exact. I watched a crazy anime movie, Akira, where one of the main protagonist rode a futuristic motorcycle. It totally blew me away. But this interest remained dormant because none of my friends were ever into such an idea, and back in my day at A&M it was not common at all.



One of my uncles, who lives in France, was an avid rider, and anytime I got the chance to visit I always asked him about his cross country adventures with his friends. Not to mention he would allow me to ride with him. Though this is probably my least favorite thing to do. Riding "bitch" on a motorcycles is scarier than a roller coaster as far as I'm concerned. But I got a rush none the less.



And here I am. Back in College Station under different circumstances. Still surrounded by college kids though! So what has changed? My friends and the times. Derrick has had a bike for a while. Brad & his twin brother Chad, who have since graduated, are about as avid a rider as my uncle. The final straw though was on a return ride back to College Station, I watched a group of 5 riders past me. It looked so much fun. They were not going fast at all, but this scene spoke to me immediately in a primal way. And so I decided to take the step I was never able to back at an earlier age.



A few of my other friends have since also started to look into getting a bike. What a snowball effect it has become. Maybe we can start a biker gang. What a sight that would be! A hilarious one I might add. As they say, in the right environment anything can happen. What a weird stage my life is in. It is not what I expected at all, but I love it.
So this past Sunday was my first ride on my own bike! I have had my trusty accomplices by my side as usual to watch over me. They have been at every juncture from searching to test riding them.



I have had a spin or two on Derrick's bike before this though. But it is so different when you know it's your own bike. I have yet to go much past 25 MPH since I've been practicing in a parking lot. But baby steps is what I need to take.



The funny thing is I feel more excited about getting my bike and license than I ever did as a kid getting my license to drive for the first time. Not quite sure why? But this is the beginning of something fun.

1 comment:

Adam Rootbeer said...

You look good on the bike, the bike is much nicer than the original photos displayed. This fun of yours however better not turn into me having to fly down to visit you in the hospital.

It donned on me that this bike fits into the category of impracticle vehicle purchase....hummmmm j/k

I love the bike Doc, just drive safe.