The Collection



Friday, February 18, 2005

An old acquaintance

Jaime, a good friend, came into town the other week, well into Houston that is. She currently lives & works in New York city, and only has two years left in her residency at the hospital. We've been able to see each other about once a year for the past hmmmm. . .10 years or more. Her schedule is pretty hectic, and coming back to Houston isn't high on her list. Well seeing her folks is a priority. But her time is limited when she does make it back and so I try not to impose.

Our days date back to high school where I was one year ahead of her. We really didn't hang out until I was a junior and Jaime was a sophomore. High school was a sane time in my life. The drama that is associated with adolescence & high school was thankfully few for me. I had a great core of friends, and Jaime was a part of that. If anything I had more drama with my time in optometry school than high school.

When Jaime came into town this time it was only for 3 days. Due to work and other circumstances, we could only meet up Monday evening. So I had to drive down to Houston after work. We did a little shopping and then we had dinner at "Babins". Ummmmmmm. . . seafood! I love seafood. It was my first time at this place, and I'll be back.

Unfortunately our time together is always short. And so its til next year. We've been able to maintain our friendship to this day. Pretty amazing considering how our paths have been divergent since high school. I went to Texas A&M for my undergraduate degree, and she was on the west coast attending Stanford. Then when I went to Chicago to pursue my optometry education, Jaime came back to Texas to start medical school. Finally I returned to Texas after school to begin work, and off she goes to New York to start her residency. Through it all we remain friends.

No comments: