Let me start this entry with a caveat. Growing up in Texas has given me a certain disdain for most amusement parks. You see it's too hot & humid down here for me to enjoy an entire summer day at one of these attractions. Now why would I voluntarily subject myself to standing in line for an hour for a ride that will last no more than a few minutes? I usually don't.
But I actually insisted, besides Washington DC (which was a "group" decision), that we go to Cedar Point. An amusement park! In Ohio! Now didn't I just say I don't enjoy amusement parks? Well Cedar Point is not any regular collection of rollercoasters. It's the highest ranked park in the entire US for the past few years. Why? Because it has the largest collection of those gravity defying rides. 16 if I'm not mistaken.
And even more important Cedar Point is located in a much cooler part of the country. The temperature on the day we went was in the low 80s at the most. It was perfect weather.
Cedar Point actually encompasses an entire peninsula, granted its a small one unlike the state of Florida or the country of Italy. None the less it makes for great views when you get to the top of those rides and see the outlying Lake Erie. Right before you plunge to the depths of the tracks.

Adam & Kristy decided not to take the girls with us. Molly & Neleha are too small for most of the G-force inducing rides. Though like all parks of this nature there was an area that catered to the kiddies. It would have required one of us staying behind on each ride & watching over the girls. In hindsight that would not have been a problem after a few hours.

Another reason for my wish to attend Cedar Point was to have one last hurrah with these rides. As much as I don't enjoy waiting in line & sweating, I really get a rush from the rollercoasters. But getting older doesn't allow that rush to always compensate for that nauseating and sense of impending doom on those big freefalls. As a kid & teenage you have a sense of being impervious. Being an adult you realize a certain mortality.

So this was it, one last run through a park to experience as many rides as I could cram in. Oh I'm sure I'll attend other parks in the future and take on a few rides here and there. But that day was about me being a kid and not having any fear. Well there was one ride I didn't think would sit too well with me, so I opted out. I guess you can never go all the way back.
I'm glad Adam & Kristy obliged my whim. It was a good day. For most of us anyways.
TO BE CONTINUED.
No comments:
Post a Comment