First time I learned he had this problem was back when I was still a 4th year optometry student having one of my many visits to Ohio. They invited me to go to King's Island with them on this particular occasion. At the time I didn't realize it was their "date night." So as usual I was the interloper. After a couple of rides as I remember it, Adam proceeded to display his own fireworks & projected out of an orifice not made for that flow direction. A good thing he was near a trash can. I wanted to take a picture for nostaglia, but Adam had the camera and for some reason would not relinquish it. He can be quite sensitive that way. So this is all hearsay of course and can be denied by the defendant in a courtroom.

one ride down and nothing up

Fast foward a few years later to Cedar Point. I probably goaded him a little more than I should have into riding those rollercoasters. But for once in my life I really wanted to ride as many rollercoasters as I could. Sometimes in our excitement & fervor we lose consideration for others. That being the case I probably shouldn't have nudged him into going on so many consecutive rides in such a short span. Being the friend that he is, Adam went along and amused my whimsy. It's not like I twisted his arm or anything though.
Personally I didn't think he would last more than 4 rides before "blowing chunks." His wife had a little more faith in him as she should. Of course Adam threaten that if he did lose it that it would be projected in my direction. He definitely positioned himself on the rides to do as such. Surprisingly he lasted beyond 4 rides, but he was not looking so hot after the fourth one. So he skipped the next ride Kristy & I rode on, and then after the next "slower" ride he was not feeling so hot. At this pont I felt bad for my friend and suggested we go on some slower ones. Little did I know this was not such a great idea either. People with motion sickness do not require much motion at all to get worse. Yeah I just had to find that out personally.

oh this doesn't look good


biting the lower lip, a tell tale sign

We fatefully decided to go on the Space Spiral, a very slow rotating two-level observation deck that provides views of the Cedar Point Peninsula, Sandusky Bay and Lake Erie. Too bad I don't remember much about the view. Halfway up . . . Adam didn't look so hot. Well come to think of it he never really does, but I digress. He was laboring just to keep his ummm . . . composure, which means a lot of swallowing and not so much talking. And that is not always a bad thing.
I figure the spiral was slow enough right? It shouldn't cause too much trouble right? After reaching the top of the spiral & gradually coming back down I was proven WRONG! So on ride numero 6 Adam Batchelder proceeded to hurl like a girl. And so Cedar Puke was born.
Now this is where I learned from my mistake a few years ago. Being the friend that I am, I had the camera in hand to record this moment. It's the purpose of the camera after all, and of this blog. To record certain events in our lives and of those around us. And so out of my deep sense of obligation, I now present these pictures of Adam in action. Not just once but twice.

Can't fight that funny feeling


once is never enough for him
As luck would have it, the Space Spiral was pretty empty when we were in it. Otherwise the exhibitionist would have had an audience outside of me & Kristy on the ride. We actually had half of the ride to ourselves. He just couldn't wait until we got off of the ride to take care of business though. Adam can be such a Prima Donna always needing attention. Well he succeeded big time that day.

"That guy"

He closed the whole ride down for a while since the staff had to scrounge around for some cleaning products to take care of his vomit. People who were in line to take the next trip were turned away because little sailor boy got a little tummy ache and made a big mess. The funniest part was seeing the faces of the kids in charge of the rides as we told them someone had vomitted all over the floor of the Space Spiral. It was a face showing simultaneously dismay & horror. Dismay at someone hurling on the slow Space Spiral & the horror at having to clean it up. Just visualize it.

"Why did I get back on?"

Now granted I did feel bad for my friend despite what he may think. Though there can be a blurred line between compassion & guilt. A conscience is a terrible thing to have, and it seems mine is growing the more I hang out with the Batchelders. I am the one to insist on going to Cedar Point after all, and I'm sure he probably would have taken a more leisurely pace if I wasn't there.

priceless

gasoline for the road trip to Cedar Point: $42.00
admission for 3 into Cedar Point: $89.85
a digital camera, batteries, and a memory card: $379.98
having your best friend & his wife with you at Cedar Puke: priceless!
There are some things that money can buy, for everything else there's the Batchelders.
1 comment:
In defense I wish to only state this, being the friend that I am the observers will note that the puke was aimed below and not toward the author of this blog, yet immediatly following my acute illness my "best friend" turned away as if to disown me and announced "that guy puked". Next time my aim will not be in a downward projection.
Post a Comment