I watched the devastation of one hurricane, Katrina, as it hit our neighboring state and then see it's prolonged impact on the psyche of the region as millions of people left their homes in fears of a repeat from another storm system. It was like watching a movie about another country.
I saw the only Pope I have ever known in my lifetime be embraced my millions as he became unchained from his physical suffering and passed into the house of the Lord. He was a good man.
On a personal note, I attended 2 weddings and was unable to attend 2 other. Is that a good thing to be over booked with weddings to attend? Any ways I got to enjoy Hawaii for the very first time while seeing my good friend from optometry school, Michelle, get married to another classmate, Greg. In doing so I could not attend the wedding of one of my former employee, Jenny, which unfortunately fell on the same day. Come on! Hawaii or Houston? Not a hard call. Besides I still got to go to another wedding in Houston. One of my dear friends from A&M, Kristin, moved into a new house and then got married at the end of the year. Someday I'll blog about that. It seems I'm falling behind.
As with all things, there were also a few not so great moments to mark the passing year. One of my oldest friends got a divorce, and the bitterness is palpable leaving me somewhere in the middle between the 2 factions. And there is an air of uncertainty with another pair of my friends from optometry school. Life is never easy.

I traveled to DC and saw the nation's capitol for the first time. No thanks to their roads. It was a good time though. And when I thought that couldn't get any better, I then went to Hawaii for the first time also and got to do so many firsts. It was a banner year for my outdoor enthusiam. After pretty much being shut out in 2004, this year I returned to where the daily clutter is reduced to the simplicity of life, nature. From the Hocking Hills with my best friend to Maui & Oahu with my old classmate. From the ultimate in exhaustion & being at peace with nature to the reminder from your body that you are not a teenager anymore.

Best shoot of 2005
As for those around me:
My dearest of friends the Batchelders, a blessing onto me which I don't deserve, had a year of less upheaval than previous ones. Their little girls grow ever richer in character each time I see them that I can't wait for the next time. The family has grown so much since I first met them in Maine, and the moments with them this year as always have been most precious.

My own family had a good year as well in spite of my shortcomings sometimes as a big brother & son.
Jeanette got hired by a new advertising firm with better pay and benefits. Though she still lives farther away than my parents would like. In this upcoming year she should be getting set to purchase a new car. Speaking of which, I have now had 5 months in my Highlander. Things are finally falling into place for her as well. She has always been such a hard worker, much more than me, that the rewards of the past year and this new one will be richly earned.
My little sister, Christine, graduated from high school and started her college experience. A very big year for her indeed. A&M has been good to us all. And the next year will be a year of less change. It will be a year of balance & even more learning. Not that she needs much help since of all of us siblings, she is the sweetest and most kind-hearted. And she seems to grow even more so each passing year. There's not much I can impart upon her about the essence of good character that she hasn't mastered.
As far as my folks are concerned, last year was mainly about my little sister leaving home and then having them slowly turn their attention to renovating the house. The house I grew up in since 8th grade is 10x more beautiful with new laminate & hardwood floors instead of the old carpet. The entire upstairs is in laminate, and for whatever reason they decided after finishing the upstairs to change the dining, family, and living room but only in hardwood. The whole project was basically started & finished by my parents. And so with this intensive project, it was a year for my parents to relearn about their relationship to each other as they worked on the house, without any kids.

So the best part of the passing year for me was the renewal of my folks in each other eyes. They grew closer together and began to appreciate the life they have made with one another even more. From their early beginnings in the war torn country of Vietnam to our adoptive country of America we now call home. My folks have lived a very full life, and this year was another turning point.
And for all of us, it was a blessed year.

1 comment:
In the end,
what life is realy about,
is living.
Continue to live well....
from your best friend....
adam
Post a Comment