Well somewhere along the line as we get older, our bodies refuse to go from 0-60 mph in any semblance of our younger version. And then we are forced to make one of 2 choices. The first is the easiest. It is the path of least resistance. Ignoring the fact. Let's face it, self denial is usually stronger than self determination in most matters. And I have been a faithful follower of this ever growing cult.
But around the Lent season, I made a goal to try and become a better person. Obviously this encompassed many aspects. I tried to be more understanding of others. I even decided to take an aspiring future optometrist under my wing (more on this later) by employing him despite the fact I did not really need another worker. But in the spirit of self improvement, I also resolved to engage the matter in a physical sense. The body is a temple after all. And by neglecting it, I was neglecting the gift & miracle of health I was given by the Lord. Maintenance is necessary for any building, and the human body & spirit are no different.
With the warmer weather it was a good time to start. How is this different from the other times I have worked out. Well for starters, it's done to impress no one at all but maybe myself. And the regiment will be as well rounded as I have never done before. Not just weights, and not just cardio workouts. No more exclusive attempts to bulk up. No more desires to run 6-7 miles a day. This is about me becoming healthier with an eye on the long road. So hopefully there will not be a day when I wake up and think to myself, "gosh that hurts to move." Well excluding the first day anyways.
So here I am embarking on a journey I have never much enjoyed. The routine of a workout. Self denial is only a step away. But let's hope I have indeed become wiser as I get older.
1 comment:
You Can Do It.......... at least for awhile and then the real challenge begins.......
Stephen Covey once talked about how it takes 30 days to begin a new good habit but only 3 days to break that new good habit.
Here is to you on your first 30 days, make it great my good friend. I am very happy for you.
Post a Comment