I joined a few of my friends in going to a bike rally down in Galveston, Texas. It was one of the most time I've had, a total blast! I got exactly what I've always wanted out of a motorcycle. Since college I've always wanted a motorcycle. The main reason though is not the freedom the motorcycle represents, but the fun of riding in a pack. The image of a group of friends and their bikes has always given me a rush.
Well during that weekend riding escapades, my friend Derrick got a screw in his back tire and promptly got a flat a short time later. Well to be honest it was the next day after he found out he had gotten it. But things like this happen. After a fun-filled weekend it was back to the mundane life of work for some and school for others.
Since Derrick had a flat & I was not going to take mine to work, he asked to borrow mine to go to school. It's not like he's never borrowed it before. For the longest while when i first got my bike & before he got his new one, Derrick rode it much more than I did. And to be terrible honest it never for a minute bothered me. See it was Derrick who taught me how to first ride a motorcycle and it was his bike I learned on. So there is a sense of trust there from that experience.
On this Monday morning fortune decided to laugh at me. As I'm about to walk through my office door, Derrick calls & informs me that had just hit a Mustang in the rear as he was heading to school. My first thought was that he was joking with me, but then he started to say he was sorry. And those words seeped in to make it reality. My next thought were to make sure Derrick was alright. As it were he was not wearing his helmet, and he was extremely lucky he did not get hurt more seriously.
After it was all said and done, the bike was badly damaged. Enough for the insurance adjuster to total it out. I could have bought my bike back from the insurance company and fixed it personally and made some money. But the reality would have made this option a tedious and unsatisfactory one. Derrick & I could have gotten the parts to fix the bike, but it would always never would have been as sound as an undamaged bike. And I would always know it was a damaged bike.
I obtained my motorcycle last year on November 14, and it never made it to a year. Sad. I was never a die hard motorcycle rider. I definitely enjoyed riding, but it never was an obsession like it is for my friends Brad & Chad. For them they almost breathe the whole bike experience. Granted that does not mean I don't want to ride again. I sure do miss riding my Yamaha R6.
No comments:
Post a Comment